Hullo's it gon!

take me Home
Schools Transport Tribute tae oor ForcesForces Songs GP SHOP MessageBoard
Streets Cinemas Boys BrigadeBB Poems Photos Guestbook
Churches Pals Stories Tales Adverts  Celtic  Rangers

. .

  photographs from GlescaPals

pages 1.   2.   3.   4.   5.   6.   7.   7a  7b   8.  9.  10




GlescaPals tribute to 'oor forces'          

The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) pages 7 to 7b


Taking its name from Richard Cameron, a covenanting minister, the Regiment was raised on 14th May 1689.  The Covenanters were named after the National Covenant of 1638 which appealed to Charles 1st for a Presbyterian system allowing religious and political independence.

The Cameronians Regiment at Blenheim, August 2nd, 1704  
Artist R Simkin published 1920


26th Cameronians at Corunna, January 16th, 1809
Artist H Oakes-Jones published 1920

This Regiment continued throughout the 18th Century until the merger with the 90th (Perthshire Volunteers) in 1881, when it became The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

Rather than suffer a dilution of its reputation by amalgamating with another Lowland Regiment  in 1968, during a period of army restructuring and defence cuts The Cameronians chose to disband.  A formal ceremony to mark the disbanding was held at Douglas (where the Regiment was originally formed 279 years earlier) on the same date, 14th May.


The Cameronians war memorial
in Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow


In 1967, the Cameronians Museum was established. It moved to its current site several years later. 
The two buildings of the original museum and the current one are now linked, creating an enlarged complex. The exhibits will include impressive core displays on the Regiment and more detailed temporary exhibits from the collection on military themes, and joint exhibits using the general and regimental collections.

Their Contact Address :-
Low Parks Museum,
The Cameronians Collection,
129 Muir Street,
Hamilton, ML3 6BJ.

Telephone :- 01698 328232         email :-
Opening Details :-

Monday to Saturday - 10.00 am to 17.00 pm. Sunday - 12.00 am to 17.00 pm
With the exception of Christmas and New Year Public Holidays.
Disabled access to all public areas.


Private Henry May was a member of the
1st Battalion Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
Born in the Bridgeton district of Glasgow he was awarded the VC in the 1st World War, Oct.1914

His VC is on display at the Cameronians museum


. Cameronians : Page 7  7a  7b 


 photographs frae

pages 1.  2.   3.  4.   5.  6.  7.  7a  7b   8.  9.  10




Main Index Streets Index Henry May VC


  welcome to  GlescaPals / GlesgaPals  remember to sign the Guestbook 
creator, owner & webmaister  Aug.2002 
copyright, no image or writings can be reproduced or copied without the owners consent